7 facts about driving under influence
These facts are applied to the United States, but true for any other country.
1. Drunk driving is a cause for about one third of all traffic fatalities in the United States and throughout the world too.
2. In 2013 alcohol-impaired driving caused the death of about 13,000 Americans.
3. Every 40 minutes someone dies in the United States because of a drunk driver.
4. Three out of ten Americans got into an car accident because of alcohol at some moments of their lives.
5. More than 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under influence of alcohol or drugs in 2013.
6. In accordance with the law in all the 50 states, the driver is considered drunk if alcohol content in the blood is at or above 0.08 grams per deciliter.
7. To achieve a concentration of 0.08 g/dl, a person weighing about 78 kilograms must take 4 glasses of alcohol within an hour on an empty stomach. Woman weighing about 64 kilograms is enough to take 3 glasses of alcoholic beverage within the same time period.
Read an article about the need to toughen liability
for impaired driving.